January 11, 2016

Priming your Eyes

Hey guys! First things first, Happy New Year! I wish you all nothing, but the best! This is my first post of 2016! I've been getting a lot of questions about eyeshadow primers lately, so I decided to write about it. I know a lot of people don't believe in primers, but they really do make a huge difference! A essential step to makeup is applying primers guys! It's super important and it will help your makeup stay on longer! I want to get around to face primers in the future, but today I'll just focus on priming your eyes! So, I'll list a step to step routine that I do every time I apply eyeshadow! Whether I'm doing a simple eye look or a dramatic one, this routine doesn't change!


All about priming eyes!


1) Apply a eyeshadow primer in dabbing motion
So, when I first prime my naked face, I love to also prime my eyes right away. I've been using the Too Faced Shadow Insurance for years and I absolutely love it! It has a cream like texture that blends really easily into the skin! Make sure to shake it before you use it! I like to dab the primer with my fingers, I find it's the best method! You also want to cover the whole lid and crease! Bring it up to your eyebrows! Then, I like to let it sit for a few minutes (roughly 3-5 minutes), so that the product can absorb into my skin! You also don't need to apply a lot of product! You just need a tiny bit to cover your whole eye!

-Why don't you apply the primer on top of your foundation?
Because, some primers like the Too Faced Shadow Insurance contains oil! Oil will make your foundation slip and slide! So, it's best to apply it under your foundation and then let it sit! Even liquid or cream primers will do the same, so to be safe, always apply it before your foundation!

-Why dab?
Because, dabbing the product will help push the product into your skin! It won't just sit on the surface!

-Which eyeshadow primers do I recommend?
As mentioned, I love the Too Faced Shadow Insurance! I know a lot of people find it oily and greasy, but again, that's why you apply it under your foundation! Recently, I purchased the Nars Smudge Proof Eyeshadow Base and it's ok. It's really expensive, but it gets the work done! I'm just not overly crazy about it, because of the price and it doesn't come with that much product, so ya! I've also used the Urban Decay Primer Potion (the Original) and I really like it! It comes with a lot of product and it's $24CAD like the Too Faced one.


Love this primer!




2)Apply Foundation (optional)
Once I let the primer sit, I apply foundation over it next. This step is optional, because you don't necessarily need to do this. I do it, because it's a habit. Before, I used to do only simple looks, so I used my foundation as a base, but now I apply a eyeshadow as a base. I just put this step in here, so that you guys know that you can apply foundation if you want!



3)Apply MAC Paint Pot
This is an important step, because MAC Paint Pots make all the difference in the world! Ever since I've been using it with my eyeshadow primer, my eyeshadows legit last throughout the day! We're talking about 16+ hours! It's a thick dry texture that works as a base for your eyeshadows! It neutralizes any veins or any pigmentation that you have! They also come in different colors, so there's something for every skin tone! I use Soft Ochre on my clients and myself (it has a yellow base). It is light for people with darker skin tones, but I find it helps brighten and open up the eye area. Plus, I apply a bunch of eyeshadows anyways, so you won't even see it! Again, this will help the eyeshadows wear a lot longer, so it's definitely a must have! It comes with a ton of product and you need the smallest amount! Make sure you don't use a lot of product or else it will crease! I like to dab this with my fingers (best method in my opinion!).

-Is this really a must have?
Yes, because of the dry base, it'll help your eyeshadows stay in place all day!

-Do I really need both the primer and MAC Paint Pot?
In my opinion yes! The primer itself is meant to prevent creasing and having the eyeshadows fade away! The MAC Paint Pot is more of a base for you to apply your eyeshadows over! It's also dry, so if you have a oily or greasy texture primer, it'll mattify the whole eye area!

-What is a universal shade for the MAC Paint Pot?
-Soft Ochre (yellow base) and Painterly (pink base). I prefer Soft Ochre, because of my skin tone and I find it suits a lot more skin tones! Painterly is also really nice, but I find it's more for people with fair or light skin!

-Can I just use the MAC Paint Pot to prime my eyes?
You can, but like I said it acts more of a base, so it'll help your eyeshadows stand out and stay in place. It works really well on it's own, but it's best to pair it with a primer just incase, especially if you're going to have your makeup on for the whole day!

MAC Paint Pot in Soft Ochre. Holy grail!



4)Set it with translucent powder or a neutral eyeshadow
The reason I recommend that you guys set it with powder is because I find the eyeshadows blend a lot better! I find when I go straight into blending eyeshadows over the paint pot, it doesn't blend as nicely and it requires you to blend a bit longer. Once you set it with powder or eyeshadow, it blends a lot better and you don't have to keep going in with your brush! Again, this step can be optional, but it'll save you a bit of blending time!



5)You can start applying your eyeshadows now!
Basically, that's it for priming! Now, you guys can start your eye makeup! It seems like there's a lot of steps, but it's fast steps!



Basically, that's how I prime my eyes before eyeshadow application! It may seem like a lot of steps and products, but it hasn't let me down! My eye makeup always looks fresh, even if I had it on for the full day. I hope I answered a lot of your questions and hopefully it works out for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment