January 23, 2016

Baking with Ben Nye's Banana Powder

Hey guys! So, today's post is going to be about Baking with Ben Nye's Banana Powder. I only got this product in November, so I'm late on the band wagon! I only started using it more and more this month. So, before I get to the baking part, I'm just going to give you guys a mini review and my thoughts on this product. Then, I'll discuss about baking with this product!

Ben Nye's Banana Powder


So, my thoughts on this product. Overall, it's a really nice setting powder! It's a nice thick powder with a banana tint to it. I know Ben Nye also sells the powder in other shades! I like to set my makeup with it daily and it keeps my makeup in place all day! It also blends really nicely and it's super smooth! It doesn't cause flashback, which is key and it doesn't emphasize or clog your pores. It doesn't leave your face feeling dry or anything! However, if you pack on a ton of product, it'll just look super powdery, which is not what you want! It can also dry up your skin and cause flashback! So, go light handed with it and slowly pack it on! It's a lot cheaper than the Laura Mercier Translucent Setting Powder. So, if you're on a budget, I'd definitely would check out Ben Nye! The only problem is that you have to go to a pro makeup store to purchase this powder! In Montreal, only one place sold this product that I know of, so you're going to have to do your research!

Up close


Now let's get to the baking part. I'm not going to list the steps for baking again, because it's already on my blog. If you missed it, here's the link http://makeupcheckbydivya.blogspot.ca/2015/08/the-baking-technique.html. As mentioned, because this powder is thick, you don't need to layer it on like the Laura Mercier powder! In the beginning, I put on 3 layers and the problem with that is that it made my skin dry and patchy! Like you couldn't see it in pictures, but up close, my skin looked dead! So, be careful! I find it's best to just layer it once or twice and that's it! The other thing is that, since the powder is tinted, it leaves a yellow finish. It's not a big deal, because I have warm undertones, so I use something that's warm and yellow to highlight with anyways. But, let's say you have neutral undertones, you may not want your undereye area to appear yellow. Whereas, the Laura Mercier one, doesn't leave the vanilla tint behind, it's absolutely translucent. Other than that, that's all I noticed with this product! It's pretty nice to bake with! As mentioned, since it's not expensive, it let's you bake everyday without feeling guilty!

It has a thick texture

That was a light swatch! 

Ben Nye Banana Powder on top and Laura Mercier Translucent on the bottom! You can see the comparison! The Banana Powder is a lot thicker than the LM powder!


I know the question I'm going to get is "Do I prefer the Laura Mercier setting powder or the Ben Nye?". In terms of baking, I prefer the results with my Laura Mercier powder! However, to set my face regularly, I would say they're both equally amazing! If you guys want to splurge, what I recommend is buying the Ben Nye powder for a daily use and the Laura Mercier powder for occasions! That way you're good for the year and your makeup can be fleeking all day every day!


No comments:

Post a Comment