November 8, 2016

IMATS Toronto 2016: Experience & Haul

It's finally time! There were so many of you that requested that I talk about IMATS on my blog, so here it is! I was going to write this post regardless, because I know it'll be useful for those of you that been wanting to go! This was honestly such a special trip for me, because I been wanting to go ever since I got into makeup! I didn't go just to buy makeup, I also wanted to see the ambiance there! I never been to a makeup trade show before! Montreal doesn't have a lot of these events going on (at least not any big ones like IMATS). So ya, let's just get into this post! I'll be breaking down everything into sections, because I feel like I have a lot to say!

I loved everything about IMATS!


What is IMATS?
Some of you may not know, but IMATS stands for International Makeup Artist Trade Show! The name says exactly what it is, it's a makeup trade show! It's not only for makeup artists, it's open to everyone! However, there is a special card for makeup artists, since they do get a bigger discount with a few brands! I think it's great that IMATS is opened to the public! There's so many people that are getting into makeup these days! I went to the IMATS in Toronto! It's the closest city to me that IMATS comes to! In Canada, IMATS is only held in Toronto and Vancouver! It's also held in London, Sydney, Los Angeles and New York. The purpose of IMATS is for makeup addicts to shop at some of their favorite brands! All these brands have discounts and promotions going on! Some brands have really nice sales! Like, I was really impressed with what a big discount a few brands had! There's also shows going on! There's different artists that take the stage, so that you can learn a few tips and tricks on different makeup applications and products! I'm going to elaborate on the shows later on! This is also a chance for you guys to network! There's so many brands there and makeup addicts! It's a great place to get to know one another! I always said this, but collaborating with someone can really help boost your social media accounts! You may also run into your favorite makeup artists or beauty bloggers! I was hoping to see a few of my favorite Canadian bloggers, but I had no luck!


IMATS Toronto 2016!


The General Admission  
The show was both October 1st and 2nd. This year it was at the Metro Toronto Convention Center(I believe every year they have it there)! On Saturday it was 9-5 and Sunday, it was 10-5. If you bought your ticket ahead of time, it was $45CAD for one day or at the door for $50CAD. There wasn't a huge price difference, but the show did sell out on Saturday, so it's best to purchase them ahead of time! You can even get the weekend bundle for $75CAD.  You're also required to bring a  Photo ID. Also, you have to be over 17 to attend the show! If you plan on getting the Pro Card, it's important to do it over a month in advance, so that you get your card on time! 


We each got a IMATS bag, when we checked in! (this is the back of the bag, the front has only IMATS written on it!)


The show on Saturday was completely sold out!




The Brands that attended IMATS Toronto 
Here is a list of all the brands that were at the show this year:
-AJ Crimson Beauty
-Alcone Company
-Bare Minerals
-Bdellium Tools
-Beauty D
-BeautySoClean
-Benefit Cosmetics
-Bio Seaweed Gel
-Blur Makeup Room
-BUXOM
-CiCi Fashion Brush
-Clinique (only skincare)
-DAO
-Dermablend Professional
-Dhemys Cosmetics
-Esquido Mink Lashes
-Eve Pearl Beauty Brands
-Eye Kandy Cosmetics
-George Brown College School of Makeup and Esthetics
-Golden Devon Beauty Supply Inc.
-Hakuhodo
-INGLOT
-Jessica Cosmetics Nail & Beauty Supply
-Jordane Cosmetics
-Kat Von D Beauty
-Kryolan Professional Make-up
-Lady Moss Beauty
-LASplash Cosmetics
-Lime Crime
-The Lip Bar
-Lit Cosmetics
-London Brush Company
-MAC Pro
-MAKE UP FOR  EVER
-Mehron
-Melanie Mills Hollywood
-Morphe Brushes
-MUSST
-Naked Cosmetics
-NARS
-Neveen Dominic Cosmetics
-Niki Garnet Cosmetics
-NYX Cosmetics
-Royal & Langnickel Brush
-Saint Cosmetics
-Temptu 
-Veil Cosmetics
-Velour Lashes
-Violet Voss Cosmetics
-Virtzu Distribution 
-ZProdux 

They mostly all had a sale going on. It's just some brands had a huge sale and some just had a few bucks off! You can also see that there's really a mixture of brands! It's not only high ends that participate in the show! There were so many brands that I've never heard of before! I visited almost all the booths. I definitely didn't buy something at all of them, but it was mostly just to browse! 

Damage was definitely done, but no regrets!


The Shows
While you're shopping, IMATS actually has shows going on. Beauty educators and makeup artists take the stage to show you their techniques and work! It's a great way for you to meet your favorites in the industry and ask them questions! You get a little book when you check in and it tells you all the show times! In Toronto, there was 2 stages, so it's possible that 2 shows are going on at the same time! Therefore, plan ahead and go to the shows that you really want to go to! We managed to only go to 3 shows. Some booths take a long time, so unless you're going both days, it's impossible that you'll see all the shows! We went to see Maryse Gosselin, who demonstrated stage makeup techniques. She covered the techniques her team uses for Cirque du Soleil! I learnt a lot from her! She opened up my eyes to things that I didn't even think about! It was great that she went step by step. She even gave us a list of all the products that they mostly use on the performers! If she's ever on the list, you guys have to go see her! The second show that we went to was with AJ Crimson. He was demonstrating the Perfecting and Understanding of Deeper Skin Tones. I was happy to see AJ Crimson there! I absolutely love his work! He's worked on many celebrities! He also has his own beauty line, which is a favorite for many colored people! It was really interesting to see how AJ does makeup. It's definitely not what most of us are used to. Like, he doesn't bake or use primers or anything. So, it was definitely interesting. Do I think his technique will work on just anyone? Absolutely not, but he puts artistry in a different perspective and as a makeup artist, I love to see how other makeup artists work! His show too was interesting! Lastly, we went to the Battle of the Brushes! Now this show, you all have to go see! It's all student makeup artists that compete to show off their work! Every artist's work was just so amazing! I was so blown away by how talented each of them are! You can actually watch these students working on their models in the middle of the center! Like, I wish I paid more attention to that, just so I can see how they created the looks! This show definitely had the biggest crowd! The Battle of the Brushes is both days! 


Maryse Gosselin teaching us about stage makeup!


The one and only AJ Crimson! He taught us about deeper complexions!


The Battle of the Brushes!



Haul/Discounts
Here are the goodies that I picked up, along with the promotions that they were having!

-ZProdux
This was one of the booths that had a good deal! I love Z Palettes! I get great use out of them! I decided to pick up the Large and Extra Large Palettes! I got both mine in black, but they did have several different colors and prints! The Large Z Palette was $16CAD and the Extra Large Palette was $22CAD. Unfortunately, I forgot to take note of the small and medium palettes! However, normally a Extra Large Palette is $28USD, so there was about $6-8 difference, which is really not bad! On top of the $28, you'd have to pay the exchange rate, shipping and taxes, so this was a great deal! I kind of wish I picked up a few more! Also, there was no additional taxes! They also gave out bags with your purchase! It's a pretty purple bag! It's actually pretty sturdy! If you love Z Palettes, then you have to go to this booth! 


I just had to get more Z Palettes!



-Violet Voss
I purchased 2 glitters from Violet Voss in the shades Unicorn Party (purple with multi colored shimmer) and Champagne Kisses (light champagne with multi colored shimmer)Violet Voss didn't really have a discount going on. I believe I paid $10CAD for each glitter, but they didn't charge taxes. I originally wanted several things, including their eyeshadow palettes, but they sold out by the time that I got to their booth! I was really disappointed! Like, they just had a few items left! So, if you want to check out Violet Voss, make sure that it's one of the first booths that you go to! 


Aren't these just stunning?!


-Lit Cosmetics

I purchased a few glitters from Lit Cosmetics. The staff was really nice and quick! Even though there was a ton of people surrounding their booth, the line was moving smoothly! Their promotion was 3 glitters for $30CAD. Which was a decent deal! I already own a few of their glitters and they're really nice! They also carry a wide range of shades and different glitter sizes! I picked up the shades Island Girl size #2 (pinky peachy shade with gold glitter), Fire Cracker size #3 (red) and Oprah size #3 (pure copper). I actually got Fire Cracker by accident! I originally wanted Heartbreaker, so I'm a little sad, but it's ok! I also picked up the Liquid Metals in Glitsen. I never tried this, but it seemed interesting! I believe it was $15CAD! Lit Cosmetics wasn't charging taxes! 


Lit Cosmetics is one of my favorite glitter brands!


-Morphe Brushes

Morphe has the longest line ups at IMATS, like I've read that people waited for 2 hours. We actually went around 3:30 to line up and we were told that we couldn't line up then, because they had to serve everyone by 5. It was a little bit frustratingbecause we thought that we weren't going to be able to get anything and my friend really wanted to get their brushes. We were just not down to go there first and waste 2 hours in the line up, so that's why we kept it until the end. However, if you waited near their booth, they did start letting a few people in and we actually got in! Morphe didn't really have a huge sale going on. I think they kept their prices the same. I think just a few products were marked down. They also charged a small percentage of taxes. However, Morphe is super affordable! Most of their brushes were under $10CAD! They also had a few of their new collections! I picked up the 35F Eyeshadow Palette. So, the 35O Palette sold out like within the first few hours, so I couldn't get my hands on it. So, I asked for the 35F. That too was sold out, so I got offered to take the one on display. I was really hesitant, but I just went for it, because I mean I have sanitizer and all. It was also not used that much surprisingly! I got it for $20CAD instead of $25CAD. I also picked up a few brushes from their new Rose Gold Collection. These brushes you guys are to die for! They're so stunning. I got the R36 (for highlighting) and 2 of the R44 (eyeliner brush with a spooly). I wanted a more precise brush for highlighting, so that's why I got the R36. I was also looking for just a spooly brush, but they didn't have that, so I just picked up the R44. I wanted one for myself and for my kit! Lastly from Morphe, I picked up the E39 brush, which is a small precise brush. I just needed another detail brush for my kit! I don't remember the prices of the brushes, but I spent $42CAD at Morphe with taxes!  So, the brushes were really inexpensive! 


What's a IMATS Haul without Morphe?!

The 35F Palette!


-Inglot
I also purchased 2 things from Inglot. They were having 20% off everything including their new collection! However, they charged taxes. This booth attracted a lot of people, but the staff was super organized. They gave you a form to fill out and then they take it to prepare your order. We probably waited max 10 minutes, like the lines were flowing smoothly! I picked up the famous AMC Eyeliner Gel in #77. I mean everyone raves about this gel liner! I actually used it back in the day, it was my go to gel liner. However, since all the Inglots closed in Montreal, I just stuck to the Bobbi Brown one. I also picked up their new Sparkling Dust in 03. I mean this stuff is just so stunning, that I had to get it! It's basically a glitter powder for your face, eyes and body. The shade 03 is a medium bronzey gold. I was going to get the lighter shade, but I feel like 03 would look a lot nicer if I ever wanted to apply it on my body! I really just wanted a universal shade that would look stunning no matter where I applied it. So, we'll see how it goes!

Back in the day, Inglot was one of my favorite cosmetics brand!


-Eye Kandy Cosmetics
I mean I can never have too many glitters, so I had to pick up some more! A lot of people rave about Eye Kandy, so it was definitely on my list! I actually prepared a list of all the shades that I wanted. There was a lot of people surrounding this booth, but the lines were also flowing really smoothly! I believe they had a few deals going on. I picked up the "Kandy Bag", which came with 6 glitters of my choice, a applicator and Liquid Sugar for $50CAD! This booth wasn't charging taxes! I felt like it was a really nice deal, especially since each glitter comes with 3g of product! The shades that I picked up are Taffy (light-medium copper), Peach Fizz (medium peach with specks of gold), Double Bubble (medium mauvey pink), Jawbreaker (pure silver), Candy Coin (light-medium gold) and Icing Sugar (light-medium blue with multi colored shimmer). I don't recall the other promotions, but if you're obsessed with glitter, you HAVE to check out Eye Kandy!

My obsession for glitter is real!


-Lady Moss
Lady Moss was definitely on my list, since they sell Koko Lashes! They didn't have that much of a discount or deals going on, besides 4 lashes for $32CAD! They also weren't charging taxes! So, I bought 8 Koko Lashes, because let's be real 4 wasn't enough! I bought 4 pairs of Queen Bs! I mean Desi and Katy always rave about these, so I had to get some! They actually look so similar to the Huda Beauty Lashes in Samantha, which are my absolute favorite! So, I can't wait to start wearing these! I also bought a pair of Goddess, which are super intense and it reminds me of the Huda Beauty Lashes in Sasha. I also picked up 2 pairs of the Flirty lashes. These are similar to the Queen B's, but less bold and long. They're more of a everyday pair of lashes! Lastly, I picked up Diva, which are super full and dramatic! They still seem pretty wearable, so we'll see how they look on me! I also got a case for my lashes, I believe it was $5CAD, so why not? It's super cute! It's a pink case with a black bow in the middle! If you love lashes, then definitely check out Lady Moss! They brought with them most of the top sellers! The line was a bit long, but it was flowing nicely!

I had to stock up on lashes!


-Lime Crime
I originally didn't want to buy anything from Lime Crime, because of all the problems that went on with this brand. However, as a blogger and makeup artist, I do want to try new products. I wanted to write a post about my top favorite liquid lipstick formulas, so I definitely wanted to see how their formula is. I always really liked their shade range, so ya I hope no one hates me for purchasing from them. I'm just like curious about their liquid lipsticks! They didn't have a huge promotion going on, just all their Velvetines were $20CAD each and they had the Venus Eyeshadow Palette for I believe $39CAD! They charged a small percentage of taxes! So, I picked up 2 Velvetines! I got the shade Jinx (dark cool toned purple) and Blondie (light-medium metallic pink). The line up for Lime Crime was really not long. I didn't find the staff that friendly. Like, even though there wasn't that many people, the staff wasn't there to assist you right away like the other booths. But ya, we'll see how these liquid lipsticks are!

Here's just a picture of Blondie, because I lost Jinx at the moment! Lime Crime had the cutest bags!


-Alcone Company
I also visited the Alcone booth. The line up wasn't long and it was flowing really nicely. So, they carry a bunch of brands! I went there to get a bundle of Beauty Blenders, since I use them so often. They had a bundle of 6 or 8, but the price was a little high and I didn't need that many Beauty Blenders to begin with! I purchased just 1, which retailed for $20CAD, which wasn't that bad, because they didn't charge taxes! I also got the BlenderCleanser Solid, which I believe was also $20CAD. So, it wasn't that much of a discount, but it's better than purchasing it at Sephora! Lastly from Alcone, I purchased the Shadow Shields. This was $10CAD I believe, so it wasn't too bad. I always keep a pack in my kit!

Just some essentials!


-Nyx Cosmetics
This was the first booth that we went to! The line up was starting to get long, but again the line was flowing really smoothly! The staff was so nice! Nyx brought with them a lot of their products and I mean a lot! However, it was really nicely organized! It wasn't such a disaster and everything was really easy to find! It didn't feel overwhelming like Morphe! Like, if you didn't make a list it's ok, but Morphe you had to since they have a ton of brushes! The promotion at Nyx was 25% off everything! Which isn't too bad, but they did charge taxes! I picked up the Soft Matte Lip Cream in Transylvania (a very deep violet). I had to repurchase this, since my old one was running low. This is one of my favorite shades of all time! I was happy to see it at IMATS! I also picked up 2 of the Liquid Suedes in the shades Alien (black) and Vintage (plum with mauve undertones). I love the Liquid Suede line, like these liquid lipsticks are so smooth and pigmented! They don't budge once they're dry! Lastly, I picked up the Face and Body Glitter in Copper (a rusty copper shade). I mean this glitter has the word Fall written all over it! I love those burnt copper tones for the Fall time! It's actually similar to Taffy that I purchased from Eye Kandi, but Copper is more on the rusty side and it's a bit darker!
Nyx is definitely one of my favorite cosmetics brands!



-Velour Lashes
I was so excited to see Velour Lashes at IMATS! I been wanting to try their lashes for centuries now! Their promotion wasn't too bad! All their lashes ranged from $15-$25CAD with no taxes! They had forms, which again I really liked and they even had a nice display of all their lashes! The staff was also really sweet at their booth! I ended up getting their WispieB. They're super natural and perfect for those no makeup looks! Then, I also picked up See Through from their mink line. I mean these are just so stunning and they look and feel luxurious! I can't wait to try these on! I also got their Brush on Eyelash Adhesive in Black. It was only $5CAD, so I was like why not? With all this being said, if you want high end lashes, Velour Lashes is definitely the booth to go to! I kind of regret not picking up more lashes!

Finally purchased some Velour Lashes!


-Beauty So Clean
I was running low on my sanitizer, so I decided to check out Beauty So Clean. This booth had the least amount of people. Beauty So Clean are known for their makeup sanitizers! They sell their products with a few big retailers! I picked up the Cosmetics Sanitizer Mist and 2 of the Cosmetic Sanitizer Wipes. I believe the mist was $15CAD and the wipes were only $5CAD! They also didn't charge taxes! The box of wipes comes with 100 wipes! It's perfect to clean your lipsticks with! They have great sanitary products for makeup artists!


Being sanitary is a must!


-Benefit Cosmetics
Last but not least, I had to check out the Benefit booth! I find Benefit was having the best deal at IMATS! Everything was 40% off!! They did charge a small percentage of taxes, but I mean 40%?!?!! They also had almost all their products! Benefit had forms and the line flowed  smoothly! The staff was also really friendly! Like, they did a good job not having everyone pile up around their booth! I purchased the They're Real Mascara. This was actually a repurchase! I wasn't planning on buying it, but I mean you can't go wrong with 40% off! I love this mascara! It adds so much volume and length to your lashes! I also picked up the Ready, Set, Brow 24 Hour Setting Gel. I only own one brow gel, so I was like why not! Next, I picked up the Gimme Brow in the shade 5. I've been eyeing this for awhile now, so this was the perfect opportunity to get it! I wanted to purchase more from their new brow line, but I mean I think I did enough damage! But ya, check out Benefit!

I can't wait to play with these products!

The other booths that had good promotions going on was Makeup Forever, Kat Von D, Bdellium Tools, AJ Crimson and Naked Cosmetics. Unfortunately, I don't remember the exact deals! Sorry guys!


My Tips for IMATS 
If you're going to IMATS, here are my tips and recommendations:
-If the show starts at 9, be sure to be there at least an hour in advance! The earlier, the better! The line up for checking in is insane!!! We waited like almost 2 hours, because we only managed to get there 30 minutes before the show!
-Make sure that you buy the tickets online! The show on Saturday sold out, so don't wait to buy them at the door!
-Make sure to bring cash! A lot of the booths charged USD when you paid by card, so be sure to bring cash! I paid with my card at Nyx and Benefit. They didn't charge USD, but brands like Lime Crime or Violet Voss will charge USD!
-Do your research. Make sure that you do your research on IMATS! Check out their website to see which brands will be there and what you can bring into the center!
-Prepare a list. Make sure that you have a list of all the products that you want, so that you don't waste time once you're at IMATS! Also, it's a good way to keep yourself from spending too much!
-Bring someone with you! Whether it's your mom or sister or boyfriend or whoever, just bring them with you! Some line ups are really long, so you'll need them to line up for you!
-Visit the booths that you really want to go to first! This was my mistake! I decided to start at one end and work my way around, however, when I got to a few booths, they were sold out of the things that I wanted! If you have a list, you can give it to your friend and they can line up for you, while you line up somewhere else!
-Keep track of time! You may think 5 hours is a lot, but time flies! So, always make sure to keep track of time!
-Book your hotel close to IMATS! If you're travelling from another city or country, be sure to book your hotel near the IMATS location! You're allowed to go in and out, once you check in! So, if you bought too many things or want to go have lunch, you can do so! Our hotel was 5 minutes away, so we didn't have to stress about getting a cab or anything! It was super convenient!
-Bring snacks! Like I said, you'll be waiting a lot, so bring some snacks with you!
-Don't be shy to do your makeup. Almost everyone had their makeup done! I was going to do a glitter look, but I didn't want it to be too much, however, people went all out! So, feel free to be as bold as you want!
-Wear comfortable shoes! A few people were wearing heels, but honestly, just wear comfy shoes! You'll be on your feet the whole time!
-Don't bring a heavy purse or things that you don't need! Trust me, you'll want to pick up a lot of things at IMATS, so make sure that you're not bringing a heavy purse or anything! Your shoulder is gonna fall off if you do!
-JUST HAVE FUN! Honestly, have fun! Make new friends and network with people there! You're surrounded by beauty addicts, everyone has the same obsession! The waiting time goes by a lot quicker, when you're talking to someone. So, be outgoing and start a conversation with someone!

My makeup from IMATS


That's it for this post! I know it was super long! I'm so sorry for posting this late! I just been really busy with school and work! I legit have no free time during the week, so I do apologize for keeping you guys waiting! I hope that I answered all your questions! I tried to be super informative! So, if you're a beauty addict, then you need to go to IMATS honestly! It's one of the best things that I been to! If I get a chance next year, I'll definitely go back to IMATS Toronto! So ya, if you have any other questions, feel free to leave me a comment down below! Also, if you went to IMATS Toronto, let me know what you purchased and your experience!


No comments:

Post a Comment