September 25, 2016

Kat Von D: Serpentina Eyeshadow Palette Review

Wow, Kat Von D has been on fire with all these new releases! I've always been a fan of her. I admire her creativity and artistry. Some of my favorite products are from her brand (The Lock It Foundation and the Shade+Light Palette). I've been eyeing her new concealers, but I decided to purchase her new Serpentina Eyeshadow Palette first. I mean look at this palette and the shades! This shade range is just so stunning! I been wanting to just branch out and do more colorful looks, so I thought this palette would be perfect! I figured I'd also just do a review on it while I'm at it! So ya, let's get into it! 


The Kat Von D Serpentina Eyeshadow Palette!


Let's begin with the packaging. I mean this packaging is so Kat Von D! It has that Gothic theme to it, just like most of her packaging! The detailing is really nice on this palette! It's very and I mean very sturdy! It comes in this rectangular form. It's not the most ideal palette to travel with, because it's kind of big. Inside, it comes with a decent size mirror. This palette has 8 bold shades and 1 pigment. Each eyeshadow comes with 1.1g of product and the pigment comes with 1.5g of product. It's fairly a good amount! This palette retails for $57CAD and you can buy it live at Sephora! It's limited edition, so now is the chance to get it!


Another look at this palette!


Let's talk about the shade range. So, these are some really bold colors! It's definitely not your everyday palette, but it's perfect for those of you that want to add color to your collection! I normally don't gravitate towards these kind of palettes, but I'm trying to step out of my comfort zone, so I was like why not? I also find that these shades are definitely wearable! You can easily pop them on the lid or the lower lash line! You're just going to need to use a basic neutral eyeshadow palette, since this palette has no neutral shades whatsoever! Other that that, the shades are absolutely stunning! I haven't seen a shade range like this before! 

Look at these shades!

The formula is different for each shade, so I'll break them down. Some of these shades have a really nice formula, but others I'm not the biggest fan of! Starting left to right:


1)Bloodmilk: This shade is a medium-dark matte red with slightly warm undertones. It's pigmented, but it feels dry. It's not as smooth as I would like it to be. Even the swatch is kind of patchy. However, the shade itself is stunning and I love to use it in the crease. I find it blends somewhat ok. I find myself working with it a lot more than most matte shades, so make sure you have a good blending brush! There's no fallout to it, which is always a good thing! It's long wearing! I wore it for 6 hours and it didn't fade away at all! Overall, this shade is stunning, but the formula isn't the best! So, be cautious when you use it! 

2)Medusa: This is a metallic medium-dark antique gold with a metallic finish. This shade is buttery smooth and super pigmented! Unlike some of the other shades, it's a lot more firm, so it doesn't crumble in the pan when you dip your brush into it! It has very minimal fallout to it. It blends really nicely! I love to use this shade all over the lid! It's definitely a lot more wearable than the other shades! It's also super long wearing! I've wore this for about 8 hours and it didn't fade away at all! This shade definitely has the best formula in this palette!

3)Ankh: This shade is a matte blackened brown with gold/bronze micro shimmer. This shade is stunning, but it's super dry! It's a lot harder to work with. I have to spray MAC Fix Plus on my brush to get the coverage that I want. It's not as opaque as it looks in the pan! It's also harder to blend out this shade! It has no fallout, which is the only positive thing about it! This in my opinion is the worst shade in this palette! It's stunning, but the formula is a complete "no no"! 

4)Queen: This shade is a medium-dark purple burgundy with a pearly finish. This shade is buttery smooth and super pigmented! It's a bit more delicate, so it does crumble in the pan when you dip your brush into it! However, the fallout is minimal! This shade also blends really nicely and it's a lot easier to work with! It's also long wearing! This is such a beautiful shade for fall! It's definitely one of my favorite shades in this palette! 

5)Hieroglyph: This shade is a medium orange-copper with a metallic finish. This is definitely bold and bright! It's a really nice shade for the lid or even on the bottom lash line! This shade is also delicate, so it does crumble in the pan, however it's very pigmented! It's also really smooth, so it blends out really nicely! This shade wears for 8 hours and then starts to fade away slowly!  

6)Nile: This shade is a medium cobalt blue with a pearly finish. This shade is beyond opaque! A little goes a long way! It's not as delicate as Hieroglyph, but it's not as firm as Medusa either. It legit falls in between. This shade has minimal fallout and it blends really nicely! I've wore this for 8 hours and it didn't fade away at all! I'm really impressed with this shade! It's definitely one of the better formulas in this palette!

7)Scarab: This shade is a medium cool toned green with a metallic finish. This is also super opaque and bold! It's super smooth and pigmented! It's texture is the same as NileIt's a bit delicate. It has minimal fallout! It also blends nicely! I've wore this for 6 hours and it doesn't fade away at all! 

8)Venom: This shade is a medium-dark purple with a matte finish. It's also very dry and the swatch was patchy. It's pigmented, but it doesn't blend that nicely! You have to take the time to work with it, especially if you decide to pop it in the crease! However, it's long wearing and there's very minimal fallout to it! 


Here are the swatches of all the shades!




I used all the eyeshadows from this palette for this eye makeup!
Another look at this eye makeup!


Lastly, the palette came with a pigment called Prophet. It's a medium-dark green gold with a metallic finish. It's finely mild and super pigmented! You can apply this wet or dry! When I apply it dry, I do like to use a glitter glue to avoid any fallout! This is a really nice bold pigment! I've used it a few times in the inner corners of my eyes and it legit just makes everything pop! It's also very long wearing! You can get multiple uses out of this pigment, which is why I really like it!

Prophet

Here's a swatch of Prophet


Overall, this isn't my favorite palette, but it's not horrible either. I just expected better, especially since Kat Von D products are normally always good! I was really surprised with the matte shades! They're definitely not her usual formula! With all this being said, do I recommend it? Sadly, I don't. This palette is unique, but the shades aren't that unique. You may not find all the shades in one palette, but they definitely already do exist in the market! There's also eyeshadows that are formulated a lot better than these ones, so you can definitely pass on this. However, if you really want to get it, then go for it! You can definitely make this palette work, it just requires more time due to the poor formulation! So, that's it for this review! I'm trying my best to get the other reviews up! I hope you guys have a great week! 

No comments:

Post a Comment