May 23, 2016

Freelance Makeup Artist Tips- Part 1: Where to begin

Hey guys! I been getting a lot of questions about freelancing lately, so I decided why not talk about it here on my blog. I know it's hard to get started and a lot of you may be interested, but just don't know where to start. So, I wanted to talk about that and share with you guys what I did in order to start freelancing. I just started, so I know I have a lot to learn. I'm still building my portfolio and my brand. It's definitely something that takes time, but it's better to start now than later! So ya, let's get into it! 


That's me lol


Makeup is a really competitive market. There's just so many people in this industry now! You have to think outside of the box to make it big! I know a lot of people that are makeup artists that struggle. The reason they struggle is because they're not motivated or passionate about it. You can make a lot of money from freelancing, but honestly if you're doing it just for money, it may be a rough path for you. When you're passionate, honestly, you're going to put in all your effort and you'll keep yourself motivated! You'll constantly be working at it until you reach your goals! I faced several bumps already and honestly, I just kept at it and that's why I got through those obstacles! So ya, be sure you're passionate or at least interested in makeup!


My first bride! 

Next, you want to have some kind of knowledge about makeup. A good platform would be going to makeup school. Even if makeup schools don't always teach you what's trending and all, you'll learn the basics! If you have no experience with makeup, it's best to attend school! Let's say you're like myself and you just don't have time or it just can't fit into your schedule right now, then you can teach it yourself! But, you'll be spending a lot of your free time on it! I've started by watching Youtube videos. That's how I got interested in makeup and decided that I wanted to make a career out of it. I was following several beauty gurus and makeup artists! Some of my favorite Youtubers are Desi Perkins, Lustrelux (Katie), Huda Kattan (Huda Beauty), Makeup by Shayla, Carli Bybel, Jaclyn Hill and Patrick Star. There's for sure more people that I follow, but I always watch their videos and I find they help A LOT! They don't just teach you how to apply makeup, but I also love how they talk about their favorite products. They also do different looks and step out of their comfort zone, which is something that intrigues me. I also follow them and a lot of other makeup artists on Snapchat. A lot of times they talk about products on there. They even do quick makeup looks, so definitely get Snapchat if you guys don't already have it! Also, Instagram is big! I'm going to talk about Instagram later on, but those quick videos are so handy! I love watching them to give me some inspiration! So ya, watch Youtube and stay active on social media to see what's trending or to get inspiration! Also, I recommend that you guys follow several makeup artists and gurus, because you'll be working with a lot of different skin tones and textures! You want to have a bit of knowledge about every skin tone and texture out there, so that there's no surprises when you start freelancing! 


My most recent bride!


Even though, Youtube has almost everything, the one thing that helped me the most was taking Master Classes online! I did Dress Your Face's (Tamanna) online classes and OMG! She's honestly so talented and amazing! Like, her classes aren't that expensive and you learn A LOT! She goes step by step! She covers every technique and product! Her videos are normally an hour long, because it's so detailed! She works with different skin tones and textures. She always does different looks, like her classes are amazing! Even when I felt like I knew everything, her classes helped me improve my skills! Tamanna isn't the only one that does master classes, there's even Lilit, Patrick Star, Karen and Shayla that do it! Some of them also have online certification so that you can start to get discounts with many brands and retailers! I definitely want to do Tamanna's online certification, so I'm patiently waiting for that! You guys may be wondering what's the difference between youtube videos and these online classes. The online classes are a lot longer than Youtube videos and they're in so much more detail! Like they cover every single detail! Tammana also has a Q&A, so if you watch the class live, you can ask her questions at the end of class! Youtube is a great platform, but I suggest taking these master classes as well! It'll help you expand on your knowledge!


Here is one of Tamanna's work! Her double cut crease is just out of this world! She's so talented! (picture from her Instagram) +DressYourFace 



Another good platform is working at a Beauty store! Whether it's Sephora or any cosmetics counter, it's for sure going to help you learn about cosmetics. It's a great way for you to try new beauty products and keep up with what's trending. It's a great way for you to interact with people and build a relationship. That way, when  you start freelancing, they can be your customers as well! It's really important to have an outgoing personality and interact with customers! If you leave a good image of yourself, they'll always come back! Also, the perks of working at a beauty store is that you can get free products and discounts! This will help you build your kit! You can even just start off at the cash and slowly move up to doing makeup and so on. So, it's definitely a smart idea  to work at a beauty store! I actually haven't worked at a cosmetics store, but I wish I did! I wish I applied at Sephora when I didn't have so many responsibilities! I find it an amazing platform! You always learn a lot at work! 


After you gained knowledge, you have to PRACTICE! Now, this is the most important part! You can go to school, but if you don't practice like forget it! Especially since makeup is a practical thing, you're going to have to spend months and months on this! I actually spent over  a year practicing! I offered to do people's makeup for free (this was mostly my friends and family) and I let them evaluate my work. I know a lot of people don't like getting feedback, but honestly, whether it's good or bad, it's going to help you! I mostly got positive feedback, but I was open to the negative ones too. I know I'm not perfect and I rather someone tell me what I'm doing wrong or what I can improve on! So ya, I was practicing for over a year and I didn't make much money from it, but I was improving my skills. I also took pictures of my work for my portfolio! This helped me have content for my website and my social media! You may be wondering, how long do you have to practice? Honestly, it depends on you. I took a year, because I'm a perfectionist. I wanted to feel comfortable when I did makeup and I wanted to learn all the tips and tricks. We all work at our own pace, so just make sure that before you start marketing yourself, you're comfortable and you know what you're doing! Also, don't do makeup on the same friend or family member. Everyone is different, so you're going to be dealing with different skin tones and textures! You want to practice on as many different people as possible! Also, when you do eyeshadow, remember that everyone has different eyes! The makeup you do on someone with a defined crease is different from someone that has a monolid! So, try to get as many different faces as you can! When you officially start, you don't want any surprises! 

Here's a bridal trial

Another thing, the main thing that a lot of people skip on or don't pay attention to is being sanitary. Guys, this is so important! You want to make sure that you get educated on this and that you practice to be sanitary! You're working on faces and the last thing you want is to be unsanitary. Be sure that you learn the procedures to safely apply foundations, cream products and so on without contaminating anything! Make sure you wash your brushes after every client! Make sure that you keep sanitizer on you at all times! Like, this part is big! That's why take a few classes if you can or learn from a makeup artist, so that you see how they apply makeup! I'm sure you can even just google this, but be sure to look into health and safety! Lastly, don't forget to be hygienic! This may be common sense, but make sure you take a shower and your breath isn't stinky! I know when you freelance, your schedule may get crazy, but always stay clean! I always keep gum and mouth wash on me at all times! Also, don't wear perfume that's too strong! You may like it, but some people may not, so stick to fresh scents! When you're practicing on your friends and relatives, just keep these things in mind, so that these things can turn into a habit!


There's probably other great platforms that can help you start freelancing, but I think these are the main ones! I think it's best to start off slowly and build yourself! The first step is to get educated on makeup and learn the techniques! This will for sure require you to take some kind of class. It may be expensive, but education is always worth it in the end! You can even just ask a beauty lover in your life to help you learn about makeup! There's endless possibilities and options! The key is not to give up and work to your full potential! I'm not going to lie, I had my bumps in the road! There were so many times that I just wanted to give up. I was hard on myself and it just can be so stressful! However, if this is what you're passionate about and you're willing to work your bum off, it's going to pay off! It may take time, but don't give up! Don't compare yourself to other artists, just do you! The only person you should be better than, is the person that you were yesterday! So, don't worry how advanced other makeup artists may be, just work at your pace! Also, don't worry about what other people have to say! Like, I taught myself makeup and some people think it's not "professional", but honestly, I'm getting my stuff together. I have plans to grow my business and as long as I'm advancing in this, that's all that matters to me. If people want to doubt you, let them. Just work on yourself and forget the negativity! Life is too short to be doubting yourself! So ya, that's my little pet talk there. I hope you guys found this post useful! I just wanted to share my tips with you. As you can see by the title, this is just part 1, there will be other stuff that I'll be adding on later! 

2 comments:

  1. I am really enjoying reading your well written articles. It looks like you spend a lot of effort and time on your blog.
    Unisex saloon in vizag
    best makeup artists in visakhapatnam

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome post presented by you..your writing style is fabulous and keep update with your blogs.
    best bridal makeup in hyderabad
    hyderabad makeup artist
    Makeup artists in Hyderabad

    ReplyDelete