May 24, 2015

MAC Wash & Dry High-Light Powder: Hot or Not?

MAC just released their Wash & Dry collection that most people were excited about, including myself. How can you not be though? The packaging is absolutely beautiful! I love MAC collections! The limited edition packaging always gets me (but of course I buy products that I will use)! However, the collections this year just weren't that appealing to me! The packaging for most collections were gorgeous, but the product itself just didn't get my attention. I felt like I already had dupes of them, so I passed on most of them, besides the Toledo collection where I just purchased the blush. However, the Wash & Dry collection I made a list. There were a few products that I wanted, but when I got to MAC and saw them in person, I wasn't  impressed. The only thing that always had my attention was the highlighter and that was the only product I ended up purchasing from this collection!

High-Light Powder in Freshen Up


As mentioned, the packaging is absolutely gorgeous (so summery)! You can purchase it at any MAC counters and even online, however most of the products from the collection are getting sold out! It comes with 9g of product and it costs $41CAD, which is pretty expensive.


Another look at the product



The name of the shade is Freshen Up. It's a unique highlighter that features a gradation of 3 shades: coral, peach and banana (light yellow/light gold). This means you can use the shades individually or blend the 3 shades together for a warm peachy color with a hint of reddish orange  tone to it. Since it's color blocked, you can deepen up the highlight or lighten it up! It all depends on your desired look! With this product you can use it as a highlight, a blush topper or even just as a blush. I find the coral shade on top is a really nice blush! This product is really pigmented and it blends really nicely! It looks super shimmery in the pan when you first purchase it, because of the gold pearlized overspray. However, the finish is satin with a bit of sheen to it (very little). There is a bit of shimmer to it, but very fine!

It looks shimmery because of the pearlized overspray

Swatches with no flash (Top to bottom: Coral, Peach, Banana & All 3 shades combined)
Swatches with a flash


What the product looks like in the pan without the pearlized overspray

The question now is: Is it worth it? This is honestly not your typical highlighter, even though it's labelled as a "High-light powder". I find it's more of a blush than a highlighter. Even the shades, they're more blush appropriate, unless if you only mix the peach and banana color for a peachy highlight. You can always just use the banana shade for a yellow/gold highlight, but I find for deeper skin tones, it may come off chalky, since it doesn't have much sheen/shimmer to it. Therefore to make it work for deeper skin, I would just wear it as a blush and mix more of the coral shade than the other 2 shades. For light to medium skin, you can pull this off as a highlighter by not mixing the coral shade or just wear it as a blush by mixing all the shades (or just the coral and peach shade alone). Also compared to Becca Shimmering Skin Perfectors or the MUFE Pro Sculpting Duo, it doesn't last long. It lasted on me for about 4 hours and then started fading away. Therefore my final thoughts on this, I'm not a fan of it. I like it for blush purposes (it's a really nice color), but I was expecting more of a true highlighter that would give me a luminous glow or sheen.  I wish I passed on this product, but it's still something I will be using (just not as often). I also find for the price, it's not worth it, like $41CAD is quite a bit. Those are just my thoughts. Have any of you purchased this and what do you think?



No comments:

Post a Comment